Where can I complain?
Any person can lodge a complaint with the ASA regarding the content of an advertisement. The ASA will deal with complaints about advertising content but not with complaints about contractual matters or service standards.When do I complain?
If a person believes that the content of an advertisement is untruthful, misleading or harmful in any way, a complaint may be lodged.Are there any criteria for a complaint?
All complaints lodged with the ASA must meet the following criteria:
Complaints may be submitted as follows:
- The complaint must be in writing.
- The identity of the complainant(s) must be disclosed.
- The contact details of the complainant(s) should be clearly stated.
- The complainant(s) identity or passport number must be provided.
- The grounds on which the complaint is based must be clearly stated.
- Where the complaint relates to advertising on broadcast media (e.g. television, radio or on cinema) information should be furnished on where and when the advertisement was screened / transmitted.
- Where signs, posters or any form of outdoor advertising is involved, the nature of the advertisement and the wording should be specified.
- When the complaint is about print advertising, the relevant advertisement should be attached.
- If possible, the contact name, address or telephone / fax number of the advertiser should be provided.
- By delivery, to the ASA at Willowview, Burnside Island Office Park, 410 Jan Smuts Avenue, Craighall Park, Johannesburg;
- By post to, PO Box 41555, Craighall, 2024;
- By telefacsimile, to +27 11 781 1616; or
- E-mail complaint to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use the e-complaint form on this website
Responsibility for establishing receipt by the ASA of a complaint lies with the complainant.Are there any costs?
Consumer complaints will be dealt with free of charge. Competitor complaints are subject to a non-refundable filing fee for 2013 of R19 608, inclusive of VAT, before the complaint will be investigated.
CallSend SMSAdd to SkypeYou'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype